Welcome
Welcome to sundayskypers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Juridian Adventures

Start up a game and play with your fellow players in a Play By Post game!

Juridian Adventures

Postby Arrikanez » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Okay, so since I'm a terrible GM, but not a bad writer... I'm going to write some stuff here. I marked the topic with a Heart, so it's not confused with anything else. I'm not going to kid you - this is going to be a story done in installments. By one of my longtime characters, Aaron. Given that it's Aaron, it's going to be like... a tour of Juridia and it's components, culture, infrastructure, cities, and whatnot. But... interactive. So the way it'll work is: My Post, detailing some of the things -> Your post asking about other things -> My Post, responding to those questions. I figured this would be a good way to do things, since... I want to get the setting across, but not as an info-dump. So, read it like a text-based RP, or a partial book that you're responding to. .... It's hard to explain. I guess I'd better just write it out. Past Tense, Third Person - as I do all my RPs in text-form.

Setting: You have just arrived in a shady part of a large city, after arranging this meeting with someone over the phone. A tour of Juridia, so to speak.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bar was definitely one which would be generously called 'no-good', and could quite accurately named 'seedy'. Unfortunately, the title of the place was a missed opportunity - simply named "Trash". For a bar that threw its own reputation into the shredder, there were quite a few patrons scattered around this evening, drinking various concoctions, jabbering about this and that, and generally having as good a time as the somber and slightly dangerous atmosphere would allow. Trash was as much a fixture of this part of the city as were the brothels, the free clinics, the fortune tellers, and the straight-up druggie dens. The saying ran in this part of Karai that you could get Poked for change, Changed for pennies, Probed for cents, and Fucked for life. Even so, there were certain tastes that ran in the blood of some very strange people - and this was the place to indulge those tastes.

One of those strange people was the monarch of a bit of land far outside of the slums, far outside of even the city limits. He wasn't an everyday fixture, sitting at the bar and staring off into space. Fine clothing lay underneath a coat even more ragged than the beggars outside the establishment, and sported bits and bobs hanging out of the pockets. A holster complete with strap and gun peeked from underneath that jacket, on top of a neatly-pressed white-cotton-blend shirt that didn't seem to match the rest of the picture. The guy looked haggard - tired, unfocused. His attitude fit the place - most of his clothing did not. Neither did the simple gold-and-black band around his middle finger, studded with a rainbow of precious stones circling around the edge. He looked rich.

The man's gaze wasn't toward the door, where visitors new to the place would enter. Instead, he had those oddly-colored neon-green eyes fixed solidly up onto a screen projected on the wall in crystal clarity. What was obviously a news report was on, scrolling text up both sides of the image, with a young, pretty, blonde woman sporting calico cat ears reading off of some papers in front of her, while a smaller image flashed brief glimpses of what looked like a building and a bomb. There was no audible sound. Even so, the stranger was paying rapt attention, and continued to do so until a young female emerged from the back of the bar, and touched his hand. Startled, he quickly looked up, reaching up to tap a space in the air in front of him - what looked like holographic blue headphones appearing for a moment, then disappearing into nothingness.

"You've got visitors, Your Majesty." the woman - a slim brunette with the ears and tail of some sort of wild cat - said quietly, flipping her black hair behind her. "I'd imagine these are the guests you were speaking of earlier?"

A groan followed that announcement, followed by a sigh, as the man put his head in his hands. "Oh gods above, I told you not to call me that awful name, Marisette." He said, turning in his stool to face his visitors. "Sorry you caught me here. I know I was supposed to meet you at the Station. I guess it just slipped my mind. I'm the one you spoke to on the comms... er... phone. My name is Aaron Arrikanez, and welcome to Juridia. I'm sure you have a lot of questions, but hold them for a moment."

He downed the rest of the drink he'd been nursing, and tapped an object on Marisette's wrist, before sliding off the stool, and starting toward the door. "Ah, you're probably wondering if I'm going to pay. Well... I just did. Here in Karai - the city you're in, we don't use a physical currency system. We go off reputation and a clean record. What you can get in this city is based solely on how well you behave. The Council of Twelve set that up years ago."

Pausing, he opened the door, and leaned against the wall when he'd stepped out of the bar. The outside was just as dingy as the inside - but the streets were pristine. A solid strip of an asphalt-like material stretched straight across in a quasi-diagonal pattern, holographic compasses every half-mile or so. Since the bar was set in the middle of the street, there was one straight across from them - showing that North was to their left. Aaron continued in his explanation. "The Council of Twelve is our ruling body. Composed of the twelve 'best in their field' individuals. Mostly, this is a career-based thing, but it's not supposed to be. It wasn't set up that way."

Starting to walk down the clean white sidewalk, he passed by two younger kids, racing down the side of the street nearest the buildings. One was devoid of ears and tail with bright red hair, and the other had the ears of a dog, and some sort of long prehensile tail that was carting what looked like a gun. They were laughing. "The way the Council was originally set up, was to uphold the Twelve Wisdoms. Nobody's left that knows what those originally were, and we haven't managed to uncover any documentations of this.... So it's generally who's the best at things. To say we have a pretty slipshod, seat-of-your-pants way of doing things in this city is.. well... accurate."

He made a broad motion to the surrounding area. "This part of Karai is the Slums. The worst of the worst dwell here. Those kids probably have parents that are whores, fortune-tellers, or worse. The city is kept pretty, but the underbelly's still got a lot of dirt. This particular street is part of Redlight Alley - a small subsection of the massive S District. You can use your imagination as to what 'S' stands for, and it would probably be accurate. There's a song on your world... Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. That sort of applies to most of this area, from districts S to Z. Whatever you're looking for, whatever you're willing to trade... you can probably find it here." He shrugged.

"I hang out here, because I was born here. Back when Karai was just a baby-city. Gods, that was over..." Biting his lip, he closed his eyes and considered. "Three.... hundred... seventy? Maybe? Years ago. Yeah, I'm older than you think. That's because we natural Juridians... well, we 'freeze' at the age we hit mental maturity." With a laugh, he gestured to himself. "I grew up quick."

Starting down the street again, he turned around, starting to walk backward and brushing some of his auburn hair behind his ear while fixing his unnatural neon gaze on his visitors. "Listen to me giving you history lessons and stuff. I'm here to talk about what YOU want to talk about, and to take you where YOU want to go. We're pretty limited right now - Skyway One's the best bet to get anywhere in the city that's not walking distance, and that's going to be crowded for another hour or so. There's a couple of places of interest we could visit from here. You wanna head to the Exploration Museum in the center of District R? We could also hit up a coffee shop I know about back in District W. Sleazy place, but sweetest couple you ever saw. Best food, too. Or, we could check out the Archives in District Z. It's a bit of a walk, but if you want history, you're gonna find it there."

He paused again in his walking, and crossed his arms, giving a smirk. "So, where to? What we doin'? I'm yours to explain all this, so have at. The world - as they say - is your clam. ... Wait, is that oyster? Fuck, I'm bad at human customs and slang. I'll get better, I promise."
Last edited by Arrikanez on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Arrikanez has been thanked by:
Arrikanez

Have thanks: 125 time

Re: A New Idea [Settings and Such]

Postby vonSaponatheim » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:37 pm

Maybe move this to our play-by-post section? John? Do your magic?
vonSaponatheim

Have thanks: 757 time

Postby kedamono » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:56 am

Moved and left a bread crumb. Good stuff Ari!
Listen to the Tri Tac Podcast!
kedamono
Site Admin

Have thanks: 413 time
Highscores: 3

Postby zircher » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:01 pm

The big guy in the suit smiled, "For a slum, you have some really nice streets." "Nothing personal, but I'd like to walk off the smell of 'Trash' for a bit. You mentioned something about coffee?" The other one nodded, "Since we're visitors here, how do we pay for any goods or services? Do we 'buy' a good reputation and then have to uphold it? We brought some precious metals just in case."
zircher

Have thanks: 492 time

Postby Arrikanez » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:59 am

Aaron shook his head, and motioned with his hand. "I'm paying for everything. Don't worry about that bit. Buying a good rep costs considerably more here than just precious metals and gems." He paused, and turned to the two. "More than I think you two want to actually spend. So don't worry about it. We'll head to Black N' Tan, then." He looked up at the street-sign, and started down the adjacent one. There were no cars here, and thus the roads were considerably smaller, with nothing like crosswalks or stop-signs, or even traffic lights. The people coming and going were few in number, but most of them were the kind of caliber one might expect from New York City streets, or the bustle of Downtown Atlanta. People with places to go. Aaron canted his head at a few of them - obviously well-known around this place.

"Black N' Tan's the place I was talking about. The coffee shop in District W. Ah, and... if we get separated - when we get to the shop, I'll give you two personalized cards. They'll tell everyone you buy from that you know me, and I can mitigate the financial damages later." He chuckled, and paused as they passed a marketplace, putting his head down.

With a gesture, he motioned toward the open-air market, where a very clear trade of sentient creatures was going on. He made no effort to stop it, just walked by with his eyes planted on the ground. "That's the slaver market. Sentient creatures of all types are traded there, legally. Some of the upper-crust in Karai started that market, and nobody's been able to shut it down. There are only four markets in Karai - this one, the Public Market in downtown Karai, Hallow Street Market at the outskirts, and Silverleaf Salesden toward the richer parts of town. That market is S-District Selloff. I... try not to look. I've gone through appropriate channels to try and get it shut down, but one voice out of many is often not heard."
Arrikanez

Re: [Dunno]

Postby zircher » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:56 pm

The man looked uncomfortable, but the Earther woman gave the market a clinical look. "Actual slavery, criminal system, or indentured servitude? Earth has abolished slavery for centuries, but it would be interesting to know how your society accepts and manages such a system." The larger Earther whispered a warning under his breath, "Beth..." She replied, "You need to be more open minded. There might a profit here that we can't take advantage of in the core systems." Turning back Aaron, "What about *** workers? Legal, illegal, unionized? If our cultures are going to be rubbing elbows, they might be rubbing other body parts." "Beth!" Beth giggled and gave Aaron a conspiratorial whisper, "That's why we're a team. He's all numbers and I do the out of the box thinking and observation,"
zircher

Re: Juridian Adventures

Postby Arrikanez » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:23 am

"Ah... It's true Slavery. Regulated, somewhat, but true. Of course, if a Master or Mistress decides to free their personal slaves - that falls well within regulations. Most slave caravans move through the desert because of those regulation. Poorly enforced 'rules' about how much food and water slaves must have, access to adequate medical care, and merit-based freedoms. ... Most caravans do their best to follow those regulations, but there are a staggering number each year that don't." He paused, sighed, and looked back at the two earthlings. "Your planet is a bit more... progressive in that way, I guess. We've not been able to enforce any super-strict laws on that trade, or eliminate it altogether."

The next question brought him up short, and caused a fairly recognizable blush to creep over his cheeks, almost up to his ears. "W-well..." he started, rubbing the back of his neck, and starting forward again. "It depends on whether the worker in question is with one of the registered Houses of Pleasure. If they are - it's tightly unionized, with pay-scales, perks, and all of that. If they're not, they're on their own. It's legal, but frowned on to be a 'freelance' ***-worker. Even in the darkest reaches of this city." That blush still hadn't fled. "There are six large Houses in the city, and they all cater to a different type of... pleasure. I don't frequent them or anything, but if you're looking for a companion... I could pull a few strings, and make a few suggestions."
Arrikanez

Postby zircher » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:28 am

Beth held up her hands defensively but was still smiling, "No, no. The various... houses... that we represent are looking at ways that our two cultures can mutually profit. I'm not here to sample the wares, well in an official capacity." It was Ian's turn to blush. He uttered a fake cough, "Coffee." Beth pointed in a general direction away from the market and back to their intended path. "Yeah, actual slavery is going to be a problem back home, but it is not ours." Turning to Aaron, "Don't be surprised when people in the core worlds hear about this and they start making noise. We have plenty of activists that would love to protest that aspect of your culture."

Ian chipped in, "We're more progressive about slavery because we've had a long history of making mistakes. Untold millions have died either as victims or in wars to abolish it. If anything, your version of slavery seems more... humane. Of course, the downside to that is there does not appear to be a universal outrage to the practice either. An interesting evolution, but we'll leave it to the diplomats to iron out that mess. We want to be hands off on your culture, but at the same time we have millennia of our own culture and media that we're interested in exporting."

It was Beth's turn to change the subject, "Speaking of evolution, coffee. Native or imported?"
zircher

Postby Arrikanez » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:09 am

There was an audible release of breath, and a sense of relief. Thank gods they were on to a topic he could actually stand. "Ah, coffee... isn't quite as you know it on Earth." He turned around, and started walking backward again, so he could talk to his guests while still making decent time to Black N' Tan. "The only real plant that grows here, that has a similar effect on the body is called the Silverleaf tree. It's made into teas, extracts, and boiled down until it resembles 'coffee' - Problem with that is, the Silverleaf extract the coffee's made out of is mildly narcotic, since the plant itself is. That's fine for teas and stuff, but not great for keeping clients at a coffee-shop. Black N' Tan imports different brews from other regions, too - for those who don't like that effect. We have a bitter black bean that grows in the desert call Stoneberries. They're... not really berries, and not really stone, obviously. They're hard seeds of a wandering plant called Wirevine. The plant is toxic. The seeds, not so much. That's what gives the best taste of 'coffee' here, and the caffeine is added post-production." He shrugged, and turned back around.

"I prefer Silverleaf, but not when I'm with company. I get a little loopy off the stuff. I can drink Stoneberry extract, but only if I recklessly spoon sweetener and honey into it." He laughed a bit. "I'm a lightweight."
Arrikanez

Postby zircher » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:47 am

Ian and Beth move to flank Aaron, one on each side and gently steer him so that he's walking with them rather than across from them. It's so smooth that you wonder if they practiced it. The bigger Earther gives the Juridian a curious look. "So, Black N' Tan isn't really a coffee shop? Is that description for our convenience?" Beth nods on Aaron's other side, "Right, back home we would call that a tea house."

[OOC, what language is everyone speaking or is there a subtle translation device in use?]
zircher

Return to Play By Post Games