Welcome
Welcome to sundayskypers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Bureau 13 Character Thread

Where to discuss Sunday Brunch sessions and plan your next session.

Moderator: vonSaponatheim

Re: Bureau 13 Character Thread

Postby zircher » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:13 pm

kedamono wrote:One more thing: The team callsign... any inspiration from the game?

The Odd Squad, of course. :-)

zircher has been thanked by:
zircher

Have thanks: 500 time
Highscores: 3

Postby vonSaponatheim » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:21 am

Interesting observation about the Tri-Tac games, Dirk. This doesn't make them bad games, of course. Just games you need to approach with a different mindset.

I think HH can definitely be about the characters, but it's always going to be a "What do you do now?" type of story. The sci-fi fairyland version of losing your job, place of residence, husband/wife, kids, friends, reputation, and trying to make the most of it. I'd imagine, if it weren't for the pulp adventure angle, most characters crossing over would be psychological wrecks.

Weird Zone's definitely the least connection-y. But I think if you do it right, you could easily play a satisfying City on the Edge of Forever type of story. Pop up, make connections, make some ugly choices, and leave a little more dead inside.

I guess you could also bring a community: 10-12 people. Like, the zero plot is part of an office complex. You'd have built-in relationships, and dealing with the crisis-of-the-week would be a team-building exercise.

I also seem to remember people lashing their zero plots together. Don't recall if they counted as a single plot, though.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to say you can't play non-pulp with FATE. I just think it does tactical action particularly well, other styles less well. But I'm up for being proven wrong.

vonSaponatheim has been thanked by:
vonSaponatheim

Have thanks: 770 time

Postby kedamono » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:03 pm

I'm of the camp that Fate does support a more connected form of game world. Creating long term relationships and connections is definitely doable.

Was it the best choice for Bureau 13? Well, I'm still thinking about that. I considered using the Brainstorming rules from Atomic Robo, which would have given everyone more player agency in what the real mystery was, and definitely change the ending of the game. But it would have stopped the game while everyone was brainstorming up an idea of what was going on. I've gone both ways with my Fate games, brainstorm and sticking to script, and they both are enjoyable.

I will be honest and let you know that this was a published Bureau 13 adventure, so I was in a way, sticking to the script. Or at least to the sandbox. The game didn't have a predetermined set of events that had to happen, and I definitely had to update an adventure that was created in 1984. I had to create all the background information for this adventure, as there was hardly any in the published work.

I think when we do the next adventure, I will make use of the Brainstorming rule. That means the end of the adventure is mostly in the player's hands. It would have to be an end of session thing, about half an hour to do, hopefully, and it would give me a set of "true facts" for me to use to craft the new ending.

And I agree with Dirk's assessments for Weirdzone and Hardwired Hinterland. You are severed from your background and past, but at least with HH, as Wilhelm pointed out, you can create new connections and allies as you figure out "what are going to do?"

With Fringeworthy, at least how I run it, your background is as important, if not more so, than your new friends you make on alternate Earths. Todd can verify that I made use of the PC's backgrounds when they were back on Earth Prime. (At least those who had one. ;) ) They made lots of connections and friends on many worlds that they could go back to and deal with their latest issues and problems. In many ways, I ran it more as a political and connections based game, than a shoot'em up, though we did have lots of that as well. Also, I use Savage Worlds for Fringeworthy, so investigations are again, different from Fate or Gumshoe.
Listen to the Tri Tac Podcast!

kedamono has been thanked by:
kedamono
Site Admin

Have thanks: 420 time

Postby zircher » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Or, as some wise gamer designer once said, "System matters." :-)

zircher has been thanked by:
zircher

Have thanks: 500 time

Postby Arrikanez » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:52 pm

I may very well not be here on Sunday.
Things are happening that are not entirely in my control, and some things are happening that ARE in my control, but there are some things happening. >>
Arrikanez

Have thanks: 127 time

Postby kedamono » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:41 pm

Just a epilogue to the mission: Agent Parsons doesn't like the fact that the Strunk family knows about the "Lights" and Joseph Strunk, the instigator of this incident may try again to capture another Light. He fully understands that the situation in regards to them is fraught with problems, so he'll see about setting up a watch post. Possibly approaching Mrs. Peters as a watchful eye. He will approach Agent Ritter about setting up a meeting with her sometime in the future.

"Witch Peters" is determined to be "mostly harmless," and potentially an ally when it comes to dealing with the Odd Rock. Since only immaterial creatures can use it to move from our world to the Land of Fae, it will be listed as a minor threat, to be watched, but not messed with. Due to the fact that neither the Osage or Quapaw tribes know nothing about it, the Bureau will set up a research team to investigate it.

A special commendation to Agent Wight for procuring the research Mrs. Peters had compiled on the region and the Odd Rock. This will contribute greatly in determining what Team Odd Squad will have to do to deal with it.

But that's for the future. You are released for general operations and any special missions that the Bureau may assign to you. Good luck Team Odd Squad!

kedamono
Site Admin

Postby kedamono » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 pm

Oh, and if you folks decide to visit the Land of Fae, here are some rules to follow. Not guidelines, rules.

Faerie Etiquette: What to do if you meet one of the Fair Folk

kedamono
Site Admin

Previous

Return to SBG Session Threads