Welcome
Welcome to sundayskypers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Dungeon World

Where to discuss Sunday Brunch sessions and plan your next session.

Moderator: vonSaponatheim

Re: Dungeon World

Postby vonSaponatheim » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: our chat about setting. I suggest we let the finer points be determined in play, but definitely stick with a non-specific era/culture to draw inspiration from. Sort of like the early D&D cover art and illustrations.

Maybe Cassius's neck of the woods is Romanesque. Strong republic, patron deities, stuff like that.

Maybe Ajax's old haunts are cypress-dotted islands with sharp cliffs and smouldering fissures. Small city-states, colourful biremes, hilltop shrines. Greco-fantastic stuff.

I'll trust Edwyn and Mithralan to tell us about their homelands when we delve into that first dungeon. Cool questions might be "What here reminds you of home?" or "There's something familiar about this statue/book/gate. What is it?"

Some things to keep in mind if we want to go the ol' Sword & Sorcery route:
• Heroes are heroic. Not always successful, but never outright klutzes.
• Exotic locales. Fantastic but also grounded.
• Exotic monsters. Very few 'races' of monsters. More singular or unique monsters.
• No real central authority. Despots, sure. But little control beyond what's immediate.
• Societies are malleable. Squeeze a little and they change.
• Old civilisations tend to be decadent, degraded, and debauched.
• Isolated savages likewise, though the vices may differ.
• Gods tend to be distant and benevolent, or present and wicked.
• Humour is fine! Slapstick is not.

Anything on the list should be celebrated or overturned as it suits us. After all, Elric is a drugged weakling, and Conan is a polyglot conversant with pre-human sorcery. It's not like the source material never breaks it's own conventions.

vonSaponatheim has been thanked by:
vonSaponatheim

Have thanks: 757 time

Postby vonSaponatheim » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Minerva, huh? Spear, armour, snakes, owls... I have a feeling Ajax will be an easy convert. :)

vonSaponatheim

Postby zircher » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:54 pm

Well, I have read about a dozen starters and nothing grabbed my fancy. I think I'm going to grab some info from Will's inspiring posts and roll my own from a template. :-)

zircher has been thanked by:
zircher

Have thanks: 492 time
Highscores: 3

Postby vonSaponatheim » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Very cool. I'll take that as permission to peruse the new Dungeon Starters on the G+ group. No fear of spoilers if we roll our own.

vonSaponatheim

Postby zircher » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 am

Knock yourself out. :-)
zircher

Have thanks: 492 time
Highscores: 3

Postby Dirk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Here's a improv adventure starter http://www.rpgalchemy.com/dungeon-world-adventure-builder

I've been thinking about using something like this for a con adventure, but it could be a way to start us off.

Dirk has been thanked by:
Dirk

Have thanks: 186 time

Previous

Return to SBG Session Threads