Welcome
Welcome to sundayskypers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Sword & Sorcery Characters

Where to discuss Sunday Brunch sessions and plan your next session.

Moderator: vonSaponatheim

Sword & Sorcery Characters

Postby Dirk » Wed May 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Tlotamanta the Thief

Out of the Silent Jungle
Of Drums and the Weirds of Night
Bane of Gods and Suzerains
Success is a Heady Wine...
A Snake on Every Hand
Too Close for Comfort

+3 (Good) Guile
+2 (Fair) Sweat, Sense
+1 (Average) Cool, Sorcery, Faces

Smallish Tlotamanta, scion of darkest woodland and squalling primeval night, stole unto commerce of the builded lands like smut on golden wheat. Flush with wiles and arts arboreal, he raided the facile temples, relieved vain regents of their baubles and despoiled their throttled treasure rooms. Warder, watchman and thief-killer he tricked; with Lethean dust or coils of strange adders; with unkenned charms, harmless or lethiferous; and always with a jackal's glee, so singular none could mistake it. Perforce the hunters multiplied, until anon it seemed all the world desired the scoundrel's head. But Tlotamanta, emboldened by wealth's cumberment and the thrill of success, ravished heedlessness with noisy abandon. Devotees of a noisome spider cult cornered him first and with much ado effected his capture. When trackers from the Purple Vilayet came upon their retinue, however, the rogue had eluded them; in his stead a bloated cultist, expired by spider venom, wreathed in a glamour. Men say the thief took solace in the umbrage of his native land for a time, but as all men know, the lure of opulence and wild adventures is one not easily ignored...

Out of the Silent Jungle. An inborn cleverness and the whetstone of arboreal barbarism.
Of Drums and the Weirds of Night. The sorcery of night and primal things; the beat.
Bane of Gods and Suzerains. The thrill and the curse; great skill, a touch of hubris, being pursued.
Success is a Heady Wine... And Tlotamanta swigs it, some would say, too often and too deeply.
A Snake on Every Hand. Favoured pets and venomous companions; thief-takers abound.
Too Close for Comfort. Cleaving to the heart of it; near misses and nasty surprises.

Garavar

Power of the Bear God
Last of the Aesir
Spirit Realm
Knowledge of the Ancients
Demons of the Wastes
Living Deadman

+3: Shamanism (Sorcery is the wrong name)
+2: Blood, Thews
+1: Sense, Cool, Steel

The Demons of the Wastes took more of the land in their icing grip. Only the power of a god could stop their frigid march. Desperate to save his people, Garavar journeyed to the cavern of the Great Bear. For the spirits said, by defeating the earthly manifestation of the bear god one could gain its power. Garavar defeated the great bear, but at the cost of his own life. For his great deed the bear god returned him from the land of the dead. But for daring to gain the power of a god, he was returned centuries after his lands and people had been laid waste.

Power of the Bear God, given new life and power by a god, could the god take both away
Last of the Aesir, the giant men of the North are gone, he journeys into the future alone
Spirit Realm, once dead, still connected
Knowledge of the Ancients, the knowledge of his long dead race is his
Demons of the Wastes, are they gone, do others seek to awaken them
Living Deadman, he knows the certainty of death and the temporal pleasures of life

Dirk has been thanked by:
Dirk

Have thanks: 192 time

Re: Sword & Sorcery Characters

Postby zircher » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:19 am

Rydak Zionblade, swashbuckling wandering swordsman

Two blades are better than one (something of a fencing snob)
Acrobat with attitude (a bit of a show off)
Flirts with danger and dangerous women (um, is this even a positive aspect?)
Rolls with the punch (tends to get punched/slapped a lot)
"Trust me, I'm good for it." (there's always another debt needing to be paid)
Quick wit and a silver tongue (not that he can hold it still)

Steel +3
Sweat +2
Cool +2
Befriend +1
Guile +1
Sense +1

Black buckskins and silver blades

Fate 4

Driven by wanderlust and a sense of adventure, Rydak was not satisfied with being the best swordsman in the great city state of Mukpor. If he had a business card, it would read, "Have blades, will travel." Rydak has just recently returned from the southern deserts where he had many adventures with the Bedouin tribes. Looking for a change of scenery has brought him to the incredibly moist village of Harrot during monsoon season. There he met a friendly bear and a couple of poisonous necro twins with an ear for a good story. As would have it, danger soon came knocking at the door and ripping through the canvas roof ruining the best part of the story. The twins learned first hand of his murderous if slightly reckless talent for getting his point across.

[paraphrased]

Rydak: I usually get my information from an old man in a bar.
Garavar: (In a bar) I recognize the strange hair style of these warrior priests...
--
TAZ
Last edited by zircher on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

zircher has been thanked by:
zircher

Have thanks: 500 time
Highscores: 3

Postby Dirk » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Since I'm editing another of our S&S games I thought I'd copy Wilhelm's initial post from the MTMJ Forum
Sample characters were in this thread : Characters

Playing SotC with the Sunday Skypers got me pondering. I'm tempted to run a Bob Howard styled Sword & Sorcery game for them at some point, using FATE. Savage sorcery and the bright madness of battle. Swooning femmes and decadent kingdoms. The good old stuff. But I'd want a quicker, dirtier resolution, characters eager for Fate Points. Rather than SotC's super-charged Pulp fun, I'd crave a stronger compel and declaration driven game. Thus, the stuff below...

Six Aspects, Seven Fate Points.

Six Aspects should keep things managable and concepts focused. No smearing your character ideas over ten Aspects like so much peanut butter. Prime and focus. Get your irreverent soul-sucking sorcerer on, or strike a bold contrast with a painted, steely-thewed barbarian prince. You get one Fate Point for each Aspect, plus one for starters. Be thankful, for those are the only ones you'll get for free. Refresh is entirely out of the picture. You want Fate Points? Suggest compels!

Aspects take on the functions listed under Stuntless FATE. Stunts are omitted. Invoke 'Servant of the Outer Dark' to introduce fellow supplicants, to spout blasphemous thruths (i.e. make declarations), to withdraw from your robes a powder made from crawling things and the nighted lotus bloom (universal gadget, to numb or incapacitate a target), etc.

Six Slots, Twelve Skills.

Stealing liberally from FATE's Dictionary of Mu hack, skills are: Blood, Sweat, Thews, Steel, Cool, Sense, Guile, Provoke, Befriend, Sorcery, Faces and Pilot. You get one skill at Good, two at Fair and three at Average; six in all. Consider your concept and choose wisely. Situational bonuses of +1 awarded for advantageous positions and the like; high ground, strength in numbers, etc. Consider the situation and suggest a bonus. Skills complement each other as usual. A close quarters knife fight with plenty of shoving and wrestling suits both Thews and Steel, perhaps even Guile.

No Stress, Only Consequences

Consequences follow the -2, -4, -6 scheme. Anytime you fail to blunt an attack you may take a Consequence or Concede, as per usual. If you fail to blunt an attack and have no Consequences left (Mild, Moderate and Severe), you may no longer Concede. You are at the mercy of your opponent.

It is my hope that these tweaks will inspire games more focused on creative use of one's Aspects, with quicker resolution and archetypal S&S characters hungry for Fate. Invoke or lock down Aspects to further the story or to give yourself an edge. If you're an out of breath sorcerer cornered by the emperor's cataphracts, you may feel a mite outclassed. Don't despair. Invoke your Aspects to have that demon you've been negotiating with come crawling out of your skin; lock them down to secure the protection of your abyssal patron (and get a few Stress boxes); or, again, lock them down to supplant Steel with Sorcery, coaxing the fabric of your tattered soul onto your hands to make of them ghastly weapons, mouldering flesh with a touch.

Similarly, invoke 'Raised a Savage' to climb like a monkey or leap like a jungle cat (move several zones in one go), 'Born to the Purple' to speak exhaustively of the habits of royalty (make potent declarations), 'A Penny for Your Soul' to mesmerise weak-willed individuals (introduce NPCs) or use them as human shields (adding a few Stress boxes), and so on and so forth.

Ah yes, adding Stress boxes. No more than three at a time. Treat them as Minions.

I guess that's all for now...

Dirk has been thanked by:
Dirk

Have thanks: 192 time

Postby zircher » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:16 am

Thanks, looks like I need to add an aspect and perhaps slightly tweak some to make them more compel friendly.
--
TAZ
zircher

Postby kedamono » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:49 pm

Well, we ran a session of SnS and Wilhelm did a great job of improvising the adventure! Big G and Tlot were under the Molten Lake of Pleaa going after Odin's Left Eye! We were racing the Evil Sorcerer™ Rolthedar for the eye! Needless to say, we overcame the obstacles, fought demonic caterpillars, and battled Rolthedar over the perilous precipices, the iron chains holding the Iron Platform Over The Lake Of Lava, where Odin's Left Eye was bound!

Rolthedar gained the eye through trickery and guile, but after Tlot pinned the Evil Sorcerer's own eye in its socket with a obsidian throwing dagger, Big G took him and his minions on, while Tlot rescued a enslaved princess the Evil Sorcerer had thrown to her doom. Needless to say, Big G dealt with Rolthedar the only way Big G could, and Tlot learned to fly like a snake and rescued the princess with the soft buttocks...

And with that, we have our lead in to our next SnS adventure, Saving the Princess' Kingdom From the Evil Slavers™!
Listen to the Tri Tac Podcast!

kedamono has been thanked by:
kedamono
Site Admin

Have thanks: 420 time

Postby vonSaponatheim » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:13 am

I'm definitely tempted to use Rolthedar again some day. Maybe for a God in the Bowl type of thing; the mighty murder-vagrants run afoul of his intended vengeance. Or something.

And yeah, I guess the next obvious adventure would be The Slave Lords of Pleea: wherein exotic tortures unfold under the corpse-purple skies of Outer Pleea, home of the eight-legged rhino and sundry spider worship...

vonSaponatheim has been thanked by:
vonSaponatheim

Have thanks: 770 time

Postby kedamono » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:58 pm

I should point out that Tlot owes his god one, even after performing a typical Mayan blood sacrifice. I'll leave it up to the curious to find out what that entails...

kedamono has been thanked by:
kedamono
Site Admin

Postby zircher » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:34 pm

kedamono wrote:I should point out that Tlot owes his god one, even after performing a typical Mayan blood sacrifice. I'll leave it up to the curious to find out what that entails...

I so read that last word as entrails. :shock:
zircher

Postby kedamono » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Let's just say he's not going to be able to properly enjoy the company of the princess he just rescued...
kedamono
Site Admin

Postby vonSaponatheim » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Because, apparently, I've nothing better to do at five in the morning on a Saturday...

The triad city-states of the Slave Lords: Plindrom (home of the princess), Cintros, and Saafernis (the very old call it Saarnis).

Plindrom rises a giant-carven, many-windowed bulk of smoking rock from the fecund scorch-lands, red as newly shed blood against the corpse-purple skies. It boasts a network of subterrene canals where gondolas glide amid curtains of volcanic vapour; a common mode of transport throughout the city, which is so tightly builded only the distant, demon-guarded rooftops offer freedom of movement (relatively speaking).

Many are the temples in Plindrom dedicated to the great Arachne, wholly overrun by spiders. People come from far and wide to sojourn in holiness: sometimes to make offerings of themselves, or to seek the sagacity of the half-spider, half-troglodyte hierodules who must whisper the eight-pointed dictums of the octonocular demoness without reprieve.

It's something to transfix the imagination like a knife to the ribs. But what of Cintros and Saafernis? I figured I'd put it to the rest of you. Are they also in Pleea? Perhaps Inner Pleea? If Outer Pleea is all of sulphur-dappled wastes and craggy black mountains, what's Inner Pleea like? How does it contrast?

Have fun!

vonSaponatheim has been thanked by:
vonSaponatheim

Have thanks: 770 time

Next

Return to SBG Session Threads